Welcome to my beer blog. Here I'll post some of my thoughts on and reviews of craft brewed beer. Follow me on Twitter @AleThoughts

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Saturday Night at ChurchKey in DC

My wife and I vistied ChurchKey in DC before seeing Ralphie May at Lisner Auditorium. Their website wasn't working so I couldn't do my homework. Got in just before 6PM and it was packed. After IDs were checked at the top of the stairs we quickly snagged a seat at the end of the bar near the servers station. A single seat opens up and Erin takes it. Sweet! I'm in, and my wife has a comfortable seat. This sets me up for at least 90 mins of sampling. I've been hearing about this place for some time now and had yet to go. I was pretty excited. Here's how it went:





Sierra Nevada Ovila Abbey Dubbel 
Was really excited to see this on tap. Wasn't sure if I'd be able to find it. It has an excellent mellow and developed flavor profile. Very easy to drink





BrewDog Dogma 
Very weird as expected. But a mellow weird that is easy to drink. The strong honey finish hides it's 7.8% ABV.





Founders Dirty Bastard 
Good as expected but I'm still not a fan of the style.



Kasteel Tripel 

Last time I had this it was one of 18 Belgians consumed on my 30th birthday at Max's Taphouse in Baltimore. Excellent representation of one of my favorite styles.


Alvinne Gaspar 

Very hop present Belgian IPA. Flavor profile is very similar to the West coast American IPAs.




Firestone Walker Nectar IPA 

Excellent earthy hop nose. Beyond that it was a good and well balanced IPA.



Leipziger Gose 

Nice way to clean the palate, slight sour and very malty.

The food here was really well done upscale pub-fare. Service was quick. Bartenders were knowledgeable. Prices were really reasonable. 4 oz pours were from $2-$4, full glasses $4-$7. We're going to go back soon, maybe for lunch one day when it may not be so crowded.

No comments:

Post a Comment