Welcome to my beer blog. Here I'll post some of my thoughts on and reviews of craft brewed beer. Follow me on Twitter @AleThoughts

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Beer Review: Russian River Pliny the Elder

Pliny!
I got a bottle of Pliny the Elder from my buddy Jeff in Seattle just a week or so ago. Being so sought after I was expecting a lot from this beer. A few of my friends have come across it in the Philly area on tap, but I had yet to have it. I split this bottle with my buddy Greg to celebrate a very special occasion.

Poured from a 500ml bottle dated 3.21.11, one month and one day old at the time of tasting, into a Duvel tulip. Appears cloudy bright gold, foamy off white head with a light sticky lacing. There's a small bit of head retention through the tasting. Steady carbonation streams at first that eventually calm. 

The aroma is delicately present without being overpowering. Smells of a complex blend of hop and citrus notes. Some dank earthy hop tones creep up as it warms. Up front it tastes citrusy sweet with mild hop bitterness. The middle is tart and creamy orange sweet. This beer feels extremely well balanced between the sweet and bitter side. Both sides shine! Feels thin to medium bodied with crisp carbonation.

Pliny t
astes and feels very well balanced, looks gorgeous and there's no hint of alcohol. It's very easy drinking and not a palate killer. This beer lives up to the hype. It's an extremely well made brew and within this style you won't find one better.


I've got some more goodies from Russian River that I'll eventually be getting to:
ConsecrationRedemption, Salvation Damnation.




1 comment:

  1. This is a brew that I want to try sometime. I've heard nothing, but good things obviously.

    ReplyDelete