Welcome to my beer blog. Here I'll post some of my thoughts on and reviews of craft brewed beer. Follow me on Twitter @AleThoughts

Friday, April 8, 2011

Beer Review: DuClaw Euphoria





I enjoyed two pints of DuClaw Euphoria at Blue Grass Tavern in Baltimore, MD. My wife and I met some friends for Sunday brunch. I wasn't expecting this place to have anything decent as far as beer. To my surprise, the first this I see at the bar is two tap handles, this and Dale's Pale Ale. I've had Dale's a lot, but I'd never had this one. Plus, it's good to support local breweries! I asked the server what style it was, she couldn't say. She did say that it was brown and sweet, which had me thinking that it was an English brown. It was. The service was well below average, but that didn't keep me from enjoying this brew.

This pours a cloudy dark brownish red with big white foamy head. Leaves behind webbed sticky lacing and a little bit carbonation streams. Smells mildly sweet and almost like a toasted toasted English muffin

Whoppers! This tastes just like malted milk balls. I happen to enjoy that candy, so this was very pleasing. Very malty and sticky sweet from the first taste through the middle. Some mild light roasted coffee notes. This one finishes with some clean, mild and bitter. As it opens up some mild spiced notes arrive, almost like toasted mild gingerbread.

Feels medium bodied. Easy to drink, but not quite session-able. I had two in this sitting, and enjoyed the first one far more than the second. Very sweet and great to pair with traditional American breakfast foods like eggs, ham, grits and other savory and salty items. I imagine that this would be a good dessert beer. I'd order this one again if I saw it.

Keep up the good work DuClaw! Blue Grass Tavern, I hope the service is usually better.

No comments:

Post a Comment