Welcome to my beer blog. Here I'll post some of my thoughts on and reviews of craft brewed beer. Follow me on Twitter @AleThoughts

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Beer Review: Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Tres!
I picked up two 12 oz. bottles of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout at Blue Dog Family Tavern in Chalfont, PA last weekend. I feel like I haven't seen this one store shelves near me. I think I remember seeing it or reading about it in DRAFT magazine. Seemed interesting and the price was right.

Poured from the bottle in to a snifter. Appears pitch black, with a dark tan purple laced head that scoots to the edge rather quickly. It smells of sweet blueberries, roasted coffee, dark chocolate and cherries. All expected aromas are present and accounted for. It tastes exactly like it smells but with a bitter and tart finish. Tart fruit flavors are very much up front, almost to a fault. But ,when you choose to get in to a blueberry stout you have to expect that. It feels thin to medium in body and is very easy to sip.

This was a nice sweet treat. Tres is certainly a unique and fairly well crafted beer. This is a beer that I'd pick up from time to time if I saw it. It would be nice to keep on hand for when you have the taste for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment