Welcome to my beer blog. Here I'll post some of my thoughts on and reviews of craft brewed beer. Follow me on Twitter @AleThoughts

Monday, April 25, 2011

Beer Review: New Belgium Ranger IPA

New Belgium Ranger
I got this bottle from my buddy Jeff in Seattle. I'd read and heard that this was a very good standard IPA. I'm very much excited about New Belgium beginning distribution to my area later this year. I've enjoyed a few from their Lips of Faith line, and have a few more sitting in the cellar.


I poured this 22 oz. bottle of Ranger in to a Weyerbacher tulip. It's crystal clear light copper with a big fluffy white head and sticky wedded lacing. There is some decent head retention throughout the tasting. It smells sweet, malty, citrusy and with some pungent hop notes. The flavors are mild hop bitterness up front, creamy fruity grapefruit sweet middle and a long lingering hoppy bitter finish. It feels medium bodied and crisp.

This is a decent and fairly well balanced IPA. It stands up there with the rest of my craft IPA choices and I can see myself getting a six pack or a few bombers a year. It's not mind blowing but it's very good for what it is. It's always nice to have options and to support craft brewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment