Welcome to my beer blog. Here I'll post some of my thoughts on and reviews of craft brewed beer. Follow me on Twitter @AleThoughts

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Beer Review: North Coast Old Stock Cellar Reserve

It's a Celebration!
My buddy Greg shared this bottle of North Coast's Old Stock Cellar Reserve with me to celebrate a special occasion. Cellar Reserve is a bourbon barrel aged version of their 2009 vintage Old Stock Ale. We're huge fans of old ales and bourbon barrel aging. This is a pricey one at about $25 a bottle.


Poured in to a Duvel tulip it appears murky dark brownish red with a very thin white head and lots of carbonation streams. I was really shocked by this being that it's two years old. Bottle conditioning maybe? From a distance this looks a lot like cola.

It smells woody, of bourbon, caramel sweet with some strong alcohol notes. Whoa, boy. The flavors are savory with some obvious wood and bourbon flavors. The middle rounds out with a rich caramel sweetness with a hint of tartness. Surprisingly this beer finishes very clean with not much of an aftertaste. This felt thin in body for the style. You will warm up as drinking this as the alcohol is very present. I think some nap time will do this one good.

Overall I'd have to say that this was a very nice treat. This is a special beer as it's unique in flavor for the style. It's easy to sip and I'm sure it'll develop and mellow out even more over time. The only real downside here is the price.



Some up close bottle pictures:
          
 




No comments:

Post a Comment