Welcome to my beer blog. Here I'll post some of my thoughts on and reviews of craft brewed beer. Follow me on Twitter @AleThoughts

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Beer Review: DuClaw Sawtooth



DuClaw Sawtooth
I picked up DuClaw's Sawtooth as a single in a mix six pack within the last month. It's been in the fridge since. I've decided that I need to pay more attention to this local Maryland brewery. DuClaw's Colossus is one of my absolute favorite special occasion treats, but at close to 22% in alcohol content it's a true ass kicker. So, Sawtooth should be a nice change of pace for me. 


Belgian white ales (witbier) are extremely popular style with the masses who don't stray too far from the industrial macro lagers. It's pretty accessible as its citrus fruity, little to no bitterness and just a hint of spice and around 5% alcohol by volume. I can certainly appreciate a solid brew in this style that is easy to enjoy and leaves room for more.


Poured from a 12 oz. bottle in to a Dogfish Head signature glass. It's bright clear orange with a bright white head and little to no lacing. The foamy head goes to the edges quickly. Smells of bread yeast, light orange citrus and a little bready sweetness. The flavor is the same as the aroma but with a touch of spice, maybe coriander or cloves. Sawtooth finishes very tangy with a long after taste.

This is an average representation of the style. It's just a tad above "ok". Does that make sense? It's easy to put back, but the lasting aftertaste makes you not really want another. This would be good to order on a hot summer day at the brew pub to enjoy with your lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment