Welcome to my beer blog. Here I'll post some of my thoughts on and reviews of craft brewed beer. Follow me on Twitter @AleThoughts

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Beer Review: Silver City Whoop Pass Double IPA



Got this bottle of Silver City Whoop Pass Double IPA from my buddy Jeff in Seattle a while back. It's been in the fridge for a few weeks. Bottle isn't date stamped at all. This is my first from Silver City. I've had a good problem recently, lots of great IPAs sitting in the fridge that need to be drank soon!

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Weyerbacher tulip. I shared this bottle with my wife, also a fan of the double IPA style. It came out hazy copper red with an off-white one-finger head and a huge amount of lacing. The head is retained through the tasting. There are some steady carbonation streams for the first five minutes or so.

It smells creamy caramel and malty sweet with some slight hop bitter notes. It tastes up front are of bold and earthy hops. It settles in creamy and malty sweet with a long thin bitter finish down the middle of the tongue. It feels thin to medium with some slight alcohol warmth.

This is a nice double IPA. Its pretty hop forward and has the dark and strong feel of some others in the style like Firestone Walker Double Jack. This doesn't feel as balanced and refined as it should be. It's almost as aggressive as Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA and it's a little on the "raw power" side. 

Thanks again to Jeff for supplying me with so many West coast goodies. I can't wait to see what he's got in store for me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment