Welcome to my beer blog. Here I'll post some of my thoughts on and reviews of craft brewed beer. Follow me on Twitter @AleThoughts

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Beer Review: North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

Hello, old friend.
Had Old Rasputin on nitro at Frisco Taphouse a few weeks ago. I saw it on the short nitro list and bit. I've had this several times before, not in well over a year and never on nitro. I'm a big fan of the mega-stouts.

It came to me beautifully black with a thick small bubble tan head that sticks through the entire tasting. A decent amount of head is retained through the tasting. The aroma is a combination of big r
oasted malt notes and some hop bitterness.

As I took my first sips some coffee flavors and more dark roasted notes greeted me. The middle is very dry with no sweetness at all. Some bitter dark cocoa shows up towards the end. It finishes lightly bitter. This is a straight-up, no frills, Russian imperial stout.There's no extra fruity or chocolate flavors, just a well balanced dark and smooth flavor profile. It feels m
edium in body with not a hint of alcohol.

Old Rasputin is dangerously easy to drink. At 9% this one will sneak up on you quickly. A very enjoyable RIS that is one of the better American made versions available. Priced at $4 at Frisco, I was very happy with my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment